Our Facilities & Equipment
We are a completely free resource for Lexington residents, nonprofits, and businesses.
Our equipment is available for use with just a few limitations:
- The use must be non-commercial in nature
- It must adhere to LexMedia’s content guidelines
- The production must be made available to be broadcast on one of our channels
- Users must become members and be trained in the use of any equipment they borrow
Studio A is our main and largest studio, at 30’-by-25’. The full lighting grid is 11 feet high and holds a comprehensive set of lamps from Fresnels and Soft boxes, to Fluorescents, Spots, and LEDs. The space also offers a 25-foot curved green screen wall. The studio equipment includes three JVC HD studio cameras (one with a iPad based teleprompter system), wireless Sanken Cos 11D microphones, and a large amount of grip equipment.
Studio K is our cooking set, it is a complete working kitchen with a 16-foot counter space with a Bosch five-burner induction cooktop, a Bosch oven, refrigerator, microwave, large sink, and full complement of kitchen pots, pans, and accessories. The lighting grid is always ready and fully adjusted for cooking shows, so set up is quick and easy. The space can also accommodate an audience of 20 people.
The Fred Rothmel Memorial Podcast room
The Fred Rothmel Memorial Podcast room is a state-of-the-art-podcast room, set up to enable four people to easily produce an audio podcast. The room is centered around a 6’-by-4’ table that holds four headphones as well as four ElectroVoice RE20 microphones on articulating arms. The signal runs through a Cloudlifter CL-4 and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, then into a Mac Pro running Hindenburg Journalist Pro software. The room was designed for sound quality and ease of use.
The Sony HXR-NX70 is an amazing compact camcorder, featuring:
- Great weather-resistance.
- Excellent low-light performance
- Ultra-wide angle lens
- Up to 40 hours of flash memory storage
- Deep, film-like tones
- Extensive manual control of focus, iris, and zoom.
Our Tascam DR-100 audio recorder’s gives professional results in a hand-held package.
- Two built-in cardioid microphones
- Two built-in omnidirectional microphones
- Analog limiting and filtering
- Two XLR microphone inputs
- Line in and line out connectors
- Wireless remote
The HMC-150 is a full-function, full-pixel (up to 1920×1080) camera for professional recording.
- Records to SD/SDHC memory cards
- 28mm wide-angle lens
- Optical image stabilizer
- AVCHD compression for hi quality and low bit rates
- XLR line/mic in and built-in stereo microphone
- Compact, lightweight, highly portable
Sony Sony PXW-FS7
This camera was designed with documentary shooters in mind. Full-featured, ergonomic, and compact.
- Excellent ergonomics for remote shooting
- Up to 180 FPS in high res
- Uses Sony’s XQD memory cards
- Great combination of resolution, exposure control, and color
- Exmor sensor enables easy depth of field control
- 4-channel audio supported
The PXW-X70 is a palm-sized recorder that delivers great results and is simple to use.
- MPEG HD
- Ustream & QoS streaming-compatible
- 12x optical zoom
- Exmor R sensor gives great detail in low light
- Manual control of iris and shutter speed
- Slow- and quick-motion capabilities
Rolls and Shure portable audio mixers
The Rolls and Shure portable audio mixers are available for members to use in their productions. These units enable the use of multiple microphones or sound sources, both Mic and Line level can be mixed and monitored at the camera.
In addition to the portable mixers, we have all the essentials you’ll need to create professional audio for your video or podcast production.